There is no higher purpose than service to others-Socrates. This adage is quite accurate when we talk about Dr. B L Kapur, an eminent Obstetrician and Gynaecologist who selflessly dedicated his life in providing easy access to health services to the needy. It was in 1930 in the modest surroundings of Lahore, that he laid the foundation of a charitable hospital. The journey which began across the border continued even after 1947 when he moved to India and set up a Maternity Hospital at Ludhiana. In a span of less than a decade, the then Prime Minister Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru invited Dr. B L Kapur to initiate the project for setting up a 200 bed hospital in Delhi. The hospital was inaugurated by the Prime Minister on 2nd January 1959.
The hospital became popular for its service and easy access. By 1984, when the hospital celebrated its Silver Jubilee, it was already an expanding hospital well on its way to becoming Delhi’s premier multispecialty institute. Services offered included General Surgery, Ophthalmology, ENT, Dentistry, Pulmonology, Intensive Care and Orthopaedics, apart from mother & child care.
The hospital continued to follow the vision of Dr. B L Kapur who always insisted on the importance of health of the community. Regular camps and public health talks were held to improve the status of community health in the area by fervent doctors.
In the late 1990s, the Trustees of the hospital felt the need to upgrade it to a tertiary care hospital and tied up with Radiant Life Care Private Limited to re-develop and manage the facility. Today, a modern state-of-the-art tertiary care hospital has come up in place of the old hospital. It is one of the biggest standalone private Hospitals in the National Capital Region today.