Bone Marrow Transplant
The Bone Marrow Transplant centre at BLK Super Speciality Hospital is one of its kind exclusive centre to offer Bone Marrow Transplant Surgery. It is amongst the biggest centres in whole Asia region. The division is complete with ultra-modern infrastructure and internationally trained, experienced faculty. The Centre offers both allogenic and autologous transplant using bone marrow, peripheral blood stem cells and cord blood stem cells for various benign and malignant disorders like thalassemia, aplastic anaemia, leukemia, lymphomas, multiple myelomas and advanced paediatric solid tumors.
Highlights of BLKBMT
- The centre is credited with Delhi’s First MUD (Match Unrelated Donor) Transplant.
- BLK Centre for Bone Marrow Transplant is one of the largest centres of its kind in India and among the biggest in Asia.
- BLKBMT has to its credit more than 800 transplants within a short span.
- In-house HLA/TBI/Blood Bank/DSA
- 24-hour ICU back-up
- Equipped with state-of-the-art laboratory services and transfusion services, along with a radiation oncology unit with facility for total body irradiation.
- The centre has performed the maximum number of transplants in North India.
- It is the largest BMT Centre fitted with HEPA filters with triple level air filtration to prevent infection.
- Emergency transplant without waiting
Transplant treatment process
The transplant process in divided into various stages to guide a patient:
- Preparation- In this phase, medical evaluation, informed consent and other preliminary steps are initiated.
- Conditioning- This is the phase before the actual transplant process where chemotherapy and radiation both begin. Conditioning therapy is administered in an outpatient setting.
- Transplant- Once the conditioning is done, the patient receives the infusion of bone marrow.
- Before engraftment- This stage includes close monitoring, support and managing complications while waiting for effects of engraftment.
- Observing signs of engraftment- After 10 to 28 days, one can expect to see the signs of engraftment. This involves close monitoring and care.
- Long term recovery- This is the stage dealing with leaving the centre, tackling clinical issues and understanding the need of following up for long term complications.
Allogenic Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant
What is Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT)?
Bone marrow is the soft, fatty tissue inside bones that produces blood cells. A bone marrow transplant is a procedure where a damaged or destroyed bone marrow is replaced by healthy bone marrow stem cells. A bone marrow is taken from a donor which is also a surgical process. The donor is preferably should bea family member. The doctors conduct various tests before they decide to go on with the transplant.